|Innovating The Next Big Thing||September 1, 2014|
• Strategic Innovator: Journal of Strategic Innovation
• Network & Information Security
• Terrorism & Counterterrorism
• Insurgency & Counterinsurgency
• Weapons of Mass Destruction
• Homeland Security & Defense
• Energy, Infrastructure & Environment
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
Terror Alert Level
• The Clausewitz Home Page
• Ghost City
Books on Terrorism
Books on Network Security
Books on WMD
THAAD System Intercepts Target in Successful Missile Defense Flight Test
Jun 29, 2010 – Missile Defense Agency
The Missile Defense Agency and U.S. Army soldiers of the 6th Air Defense Artillery Brigade from Fort Bliss, Texas, successfully conducted an intercept test for the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense element of the nation’s Ballistic Missile Defense System today. A target missile was launched at approximately 9:32 p.m. Hawaii time, June 28 (3:32 a.m. EDT, June 29), and about five minutes later a THAAD interceptor missile was launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF) off the island of Kauai, Hawaii. Preliminary indications are that planned flight test objectives were achieved.
The test involved the intercept of a short-range unitary target in the endoatmosphere (inside the earth’s atmosphere). The target, representing a short-range ballistic missile threat, was launched from an at-sea mobile launch platform located in the Pacific Ocean west of Hawaii. Upon acquiring and tracking the target, the THAAD system developed a fire control solution and launched an interceptor missile, which acquired and successfully intercepted the target missile. The intercept occurred at the lowest altitude to date for the THAAD interceptor missile, which has the capability to engage targets both inside and outside the earth’s atmosphere.
Soldiers of the 6th Air Defense Artillery Brigade of Fort Bliss, Texas, conducted launcher, fire control and radar operations, using tactics, techniques, and procedures developed by the U.S. Army Air Defense School. Soldiers operating the equipment were not aware of actual target launch time. Also following the engagement, test personnel used the Simulation-Over-Live Driver (SOLD) software system to inject multiple simulated threat scenarios into the THAAD radar. This exercised THAAD’s capability to track and engage a mass raid of enemy ballistic missiles.
Several missile defense assets and emerging technologies observed the launch and gathered data for future analysis. Participants included the Command and Control, Battle Management and Communications (C2BMC) system and elements of the U.S. Army’s PATRIOT system. The PATRIOT system, located at PMRF, conducted engagement coordination with THAAD and conducted upper tier debris mitigation exercises during the intercept engagement.
This was the seventh successful intercept in seven attempts for the operationally-configured THAAD system. Operational elements of the Ballistic Missile Defense System are currently deployed, protecting the nation, our allies and friends against limited ballistic missile attack. The system continues to undergo development and testing to provide a robust layered defense against ballistic missiles of all ranges in all phases of flight.
The THAAD Program is managed by the Missile Defense Agency in Washington, D.C., and executed by the THAAD Project Office in Huntsville, Ala.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Weapons of Mass Destruction articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 7/23 McAfee Blogs: W32/Worm-AAEH Replaces Cryptor With One Used by Dofoil Downloaders
• 7/23 McAfee Blogs: The Firewall is Turning 25, but is it Really All Grown Up?
• 7/22 RSIS Report: “The Six’s” Guiding Principles in Negotiating with Iran
• 7/21 McAfee Blogs: 10 Experts, One Topic, 800 Million AETs
• 7/16 McAfee Blogs: Texas Tech University HSC Unifies Security and Compliance with McAfee SIEM Solutions
• 7/15 McAfee Blogs: Targeted Attacks on French Company Exploit Multiple Word Vulnerabilities
• 7/15 McAfee Blogs: Continuous Incident Response
• 7/14 McAfee Blogs: Dofoil Downloader Update Adds XOR-, RC4-Based Encryption
• 7/12 Frontline Sentinel: The Impact of Red Team Drills
• 7/12 Frontline Sentinel: Integrating Threat Intelligence Into Your Security Program
• 7/12 Frontline Sentinel: Creating a Secure Guest Network
• 7/12 Frontline Sentinel: Onward Through the Cloud
• 7/8 McAfee Blogs: More Choices for Encryption to Protect Your Data-At-Rest
• 7/7 McAfee Blogs: CryptoWall Ransomware Built With RC4 Bricks
• 7/2 McAfee Blogs: Operation Dragonfly Imperils Industrial Protocol
• 7/2 McAfee Blogs: Don’t Settle for Less with Your IPS
• 7/1 McAfee Blogs: How Volusion Used McAfee SIEM to Meet New Security Needs
• 6/27 McAfee Blogs: McAfee Named A Leader in Secure Web Gateways 2014 Magic Quadrant
• 6/26 McAfee Blogs: Learn More About McAfee’s Next Generation Firewall Secret Weapon
• 6/23 HP Security Products Blog: Disrupting the innovator’s dilemma
• 6/23 McAfee Blogs: Multiparty authentication and cryptosystems in the IoT – part 3
• 6/19 HP Security Products Blog: Can the law keep up with technology advances?
• 6/19 McAfee Blogs: Buyer Beware: This Smartphone Comes with Malware Pre-Loaded
• 6/19 McAfee Blogs: Multiparty authentication and cryptosystems in the IoT – part 2
• 6/18 McAfee Blogs: Hackers Score a Goal with World Cup Scams
• 6/18 McAfee Blogs: How The State of Colorado Secured its Infrastructure with McAfee SIEM
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Bridging the Tech Gap: A Snapchat Primer for Parents
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Workplace Wearables and the Loss of Privacy
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Thinking About Next-Generation Security and Cyberwarfare
• 6/16 HP Security Products Blog: Does personal accountability need to shift in business?
• 6/16 McAfee Blogs: What is Fake Antivirus Software?
• 6/13 CRS Report: U.S.-Vietnam Nuclear Cooperation Agreement: Issues for Congress
• 6/13 CRS Report: The Evolution of Cooperative Threat Reduction: Issues for Congress
• 6/11 McAfee Blogs: Celebrating our partners’ success
• 6/11 McAfee Blogs: Celebrating our partners’ success
• 6/11 McAfee Blogs: Microsoft Patch Tuesday: June 2014
• 6/9 RSIS Report: In Response to Gareth Porter’s Ridiculous Attack
• 6/9 HP Security Products Blog: What about 'the machine'?
• 6/9 HP Security Products Blog: Day 2 at Discover
• 6/9 McAfee Blogs: CISOs: What the New CSIS and McAfee Global Cost of Cybercrime Study Means for Your Business
• 6/5 McAfee Blogs: Teen Cyberbullying Triples, Emotional Impact Grows
• 6/5 McAfee Blogs: Apple Makes a Strong Push for the Internet of Things, But Will It be Secure?
• 6/4 HP Security Products Blog: Advanced analytics made easy with HAVEn
• 6/4 HP Security Products Blog: Viva Las Vegas! HP Enterprise Security Products represent at HP Discover 2014
• 6/4 McAfee Blogs: Massive Law Enforcement Operation Tells two Malware Variants it’s ‘Game Over’
• 6/4 McAfee Blogs: Backing Up the Claims: ESG Validates McAfee NGFW Strengths
• 6/3 RSIS Report: Five Compromises to Avoid in a Comprehensive Agreement with Iran
• 6/3 McAfee Blogs: The Privacy Problems with Mobile Messaging Apps
• 6/3 McAfee Blogs: Teens’ Online Behavior Can Get Them in Trouble
• 6/3 McAfee Blogs: Deterrence in Cyberspace Helps Prevent Cyberwar
• 9/1 Military Airstrikes Hit ISIL Near Mosul Dam
• 9/1 Suicide Prevention Takes Courage, Communication, Official Says
• 8/31 U.S. Airstrikes Hit ISIL near Amirli and Mosul Dam
• 8/31 Airstrikes Hit ISIL, Airdrops Aid Citizens in Amirli
• 8/30 U.S., Partner-nations Conduct Humanitarian Airdrop in Iraq
• 8/30 Military Conducts Airstrikes Against ISIL Near Mosul Dam
• 8/29 Hagel's 16th Overseas Trip Includes Wales Summit
• 8/29 Pentagon Prepares Options for President on ISIL
• 8/29 U.S. Airstrikes Hit ISIL Near Mosul Dam
• 8/29 Pentagon: Russia Intensifies Efforts Inside Ukraine
• 8/29 National Guard Identifies Fallen F-15C Aviator
• 8/29 Face of Defense: Soldiers Redeploy After South Korea Exercise
• 8/29 Transcom: Know Your POV Shipping Entitlements
• 8/29 Massachusetts Guard Jet Pilot Died in Crash
• 8/28 Obama Tasks DoD for Options Against ISIL
• 8/28 U.S. Conducts Airstrikes Against ISIL Near Mosul Dam
• 8/28 Votel Takes Charge of Special Operations Command
• 8/28 VA Website Tool Provides Education, Benefits Info
• 8/28 Face of Defense: Army Amputee Keeps Innate Optimism
• 8/28 Searchers Seek Missing F-15C Pilot
• 8/27 Human Rights Experts Meet at U.S. Southern Command
• 8/27 Airstrikes Hit ISIL Near Irbil and Mosul Dam
• 8/27 DoD Announces Upcoming NATO, Maritime Exercises
• 8/27 F-15C Eagle Jet Crashes in Virginia
• 8/27 DoD Plays Key Role in Disaster Response, Official Says
• 8/27 Face of Defense: Airmen Offer Deployment Tips
• 8/27 Military Conducts Airstrikes Against ISIL Near Irbil
• 8/26 Coast Guard Craft Fires Warning Shot at Iranian Dhow
• 8/26 President Pledges Support to Veterans
• 8/26 Hagel: Seven Nations Pledge Arms for Iraqi Kurds in Fight Against ISIL